Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Fathers

This was the children's moment this past Sunday, given by our Associate Pastor. The funniest moment was when she read number 6 and the Senior Pastor's 17-year-old son raised his hand. It was especially humorous considering he is a Scoutmaster!

Today is Father’s Day! Happy Father’s Day to all the dads and granddad’s out there! Our Bible verse today is from the Book of Proverbs and it says, "Listen, my sons (and daughters), to a father's instruction; pay attention and gain understanding." How many of you listen to the wise things that your father says to you? I made a list of the top ten “wisdom sayings” I heard growing up from my dad. As I read them off, I want you raise your hand if you have ever heard them from your dear old Dad.

10. Why? Because I said so!


9. Just wait 'till you have kids of your own.

8. This is going to hurt me a lot more than it hurts you.

7. Do I look like I'm made out of money?

6. No! We are NOT lost.

5. Not now, I'm checking the score.

4. When you break your leg, don't come running to me!

3. What did I just get finished telling you?

2. Be quiet! Can't you see I'm trying to think?


And Dad's best piece of wisdom.....(drumroll)


1. How should I know? Ask your mother!



Well OK… maybe your father doesn't always have all the right answers. I think that maybe God put the two of you together so that you could learn from each other. Your father is older, has far more experience, and has a lot to teach you. I hope that you remember to thank your dad today for what he has taught you. I hope that you pray that God gives him the strength and wisdom he needs to be your dad.

Let’s pray together… Dear God, thank you for our dads. We pray that you will bless them with the wisdom needed to be good fathers. Amen.


A few tears filled my eyes during the prayer. My father died when I was 19. Most Father's Days I focus on my husband and what a wonderful father he is to our daughters. Every now and then his absence makes itself known and surprises me. It doesn't matter how much we've grown, we're still our parents' children and we still need them. I have found other men who are like a father to me, but still it is not the same as having the one who raised you. So, yeah, I believe in the corny notion of being reunited one day, because I was robbed of his presence, of watching him with his granddaughters. He would have celebrated his 69th birthday this fall.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Mental hug, dear friend.

I understand your loss.

My Mom has been gone from my life longer than she was in it. Yet, she is with me every day, too - nearly 23 years later. I wish that she had met Jenna...

Cynthia said...

Your mom would be proud...of both of you.

Thanks, kemosabe.